Thursday, August 23, 2012

A sad goodbye to a legendary restaurant: Charlie Trotter's

I spent a lovely week in Chicago this year. The sun was shining, there was a cool breeze in the air, and more importantly the smells of all the special culinary delights this city has to offer. On one very special night, I had a 9pm reservation at the famous Charlie Trotter's.  Chef Trotter has authored more then 14 cookbooks and has a list of awards too long to list, he is an obvious favorite for this food groupie.

While making my reservation ( months in advance) I loved the quote on his site along his vegetarian menu for that season.

Chef Trotter’s approach to vegetable cuisine is not that of a staunch vegetarian, but rather of a chef passionate about vegetables. Their complex textures, artistic shapes, vibrant colors and full flavors fuel his love for transforming them into unforgettable dishes.

As I walked up the stairs of this little quiet white wooden porch, I was immediately comforted by the very unassuming quaintness of its entryway. The first small room was lined with a bar and dimly lit. I could feel my anticipation rise.

Dinner seating began..and the feast that lasted thru the night into the wee hours of the morning was nothing short of orgasmic.  Chef Trotter's approach to vegetables was kind, celebratory and surprising.

I will share more details of my tasting menu in  a future post, but for now, a sweet farewell . Charlie Trotter's is set to close it's doors on the evening of August 31st, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment